Thursday, January 22, 2009

On Obama and Love

It's true. Kate and I are huge fans of this country. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Whatever happens, we stick through with her thick and thin.

We recognize the significance of the inauguration. We understand the strides that this country had made in the past 60 years.

That being said, can we please get back to reality (say, after Sunday)?


(That picture was on the first result page for a Google Image search for Obama - eek?) The love fest over the man, the myth, the legend that is Obama has been nothing short of astonishing. If only President Bush (my once and future King) or Britney Spears had half the positive coverage Obama had, they would be going down in history as the reincarnation of Jefferson and Hepburn and not Nixon and . . . well, Spears.I think Ann Coulter puts it best when she said in her most recent (and just read by yours truly):
"The media really wanted to screw Obama,but only in the sense that they wanted to have sex with him."
Beyond the media, my friends have gone bonkers (and I put that lightly). I realize that I'm in love with GWB, I get that. I can't help it. But....come on! I own no buttons, just a few old bumper stickers and some free photos I get in the mail. This year, I bought two $5 magnets for McCain. That's it. I have no Facebook profile pics of him, I didn't add "Hussein" as my middle name during the campaign, I didn't take time off from work to volunteer for him. But a lot of people did. Great for them. Now can I have my TV back?

So where does this leave us? Three days in, four years to go. And a whole lot of love left to give.

P.S. I'm sure I'll have a lot more to write about on this over the next four years. You've been warned.

No comments: